Monday, May 8, 2017

A Plea to Single Winged Penholders

My first penhold blade was a Nittaku Japanese penhold. The comfort, feel and power of that blade was truely unmatched. I loved it. I also choose that blade because it what was what my brother played with. But as time passes, the game evolves and we evolve as we age.

This is my plea to all single sided penholders. Both J-peners and single sided C-peners alike... Learn the RPB. If you currently are a singled winged penholder, I'm convinced there is no other improvment you could make to your game than to transition from that traditional penhold backhand (TPB) to a reverse penhold backhand (RPB). The traditional penhold backhand always has and always will be a weakness in the game.

If you don't take my word for it, then perhaps short pip legend He Zhi Wen can convince you?


Be sure to watch from 1:41 - 2:08 in the video and have your closed captions turned on.

There are varying levels of which you can use the RPB. Perhaps it comes completely natural to you. Then you can play more like Wang Hao, who used it with every backhand. Or perhaps you grew up using the TPB and you simply like blocking with it? That's completely fine also. Penhold great Ma Lin used the TPB 80% of the time in his matches in blocking & counter hitting. However when there was a high ball to attack or loop, he used the RPB. Don't let players think all they have to do is keep hitting to your backhand over & over with no real repercussion. You have options.

What if I love the feel & style of Jpen?
That's completely understandable. I prefer the cork grip myself also. I would then encourage you to consider some type of hybrid Jpen that allows you to hit with the backside RPB.

Take a look at the Nittaku SOU for example? It's a two-sided Jpen that even allows one to twiddle. There is a version more rectangular like a Jpen or more round like a Cpen

Jpen:
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/nittaku-sou-mf-p-pen

Cpen:
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/nittaku-sou-mf-r-pen

Here's some video of it from one of my favorite youtube channels TacShow.






1 comment: